We Care

Estate administration and out-of-state family members

Many people who live out-of-state are named the executors of wills for family members who live in Georgia. This would obviously make estate administration problematic. Fortunately, an executor — or the family members of someone who died intestate (without a will) — can still have the estate settled long distance.

One of the biggest challenges facing you as an executor or administrator is understanding the probate requirements here in Georgia. Many of the general duties required of you will be similar from state to state, but that does not mean that you can rely on generalities from your state to apply here. It would be prudent to hire a Georgia probate attorney to handle matters on your behalf in order to ensure that the estate is handled correctly. 

Probating the will, inventorying and valuing assets, and preparing the legal documentation required by the court and for transferring assets, among other things, can be done from a distance. Even if your loved one died in the state in which you live, he or she might have owned property here in Georgia. In that case, an ancillary probate will need to be filed in order to deal with that property. It cannot be done from your home state.

During your time of grief, you should not have to worry about how to handle your loved one’s estate. Fortunately, a Georgia probate attorney can assist you will all aspects of estate administration. Your presence might be required for key events, but the remaining tasks can be handled without you having to be here.